Wednesday 8 June 2011

Victoria (or to quote Candace: 'Brewtoria') part 1


I'm in Victoria today and tomorrow visiting a couple of the craft breweries on the island. Today I hit Vancouver Island Brewery. I wasn't able to get a tour (they only do them on Saturdays) but the lady working at the brewery store, Candace, was gracious enough to give me a private tasting of their beers!!!


Vancouver Island Brewery opened in 1984 and is well loved and enjoyed on Vancouver Island and in various locations on the lower main land.... you won't find this is Edmonton! When I asked Candace what her 'zombie apocalypse' beer pick is she told me the Spyhopper Honey Brown. When I tried that one, I must admit, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be..... It's not sickly sweet like a Sleeman's Honey Brown; rather, it's more a light ale with a subtle honey tang. It's not a cooler drinker's beer but it's got a nice mild quality to it... very balanced.

Just to be clear: When I say Zombie Apocalypse beer pick, I mean you're being chased by zombies and you have time for one last beer..... which do you choose!?!?


Out of the Vancouver Island beers, my Zombie Apocalypse choice would be the Double Decker IPA... it's hoppy and I love it! The hops bites you in the ass for a second and then it's gone.... like a mirage.

Another fun beer is the Piper's Pale Ale named after James C. Richardson, a local war hero. He was a Piper in the 16th Battalion and died during the Battle of Somme in 1916. His pipes were thought to be forever lost but they were found eventually and repatriated to Canada in 2006. His pipes and the Victoria Cross he was awarded are on display at the Legislature Building in Victoria.


That's it for today. Tomorrow I'm hitting the Phillip's Brewery tour, which should be a ton of fun! That's place has got some fun history to it.... but I'll get to that tomorrow.

Also, sneaky side note: Granville Island was bought out by Creemore Springs in 2009, which is owned my Molson-Coors! They forgot to mention that on the tour.....hmmmmm. Interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I'm extremely jealous you got to drink some VIB and I STILL can't find it anywhere in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. beer tables and chairs set

    ReplyDelete