Friday 26 September 2014

Recipe Project for Heartbreak Porter: The Malt!

So, it looks like I'll be using this blog for a few class assignments, the first of which is the malt portion of a recipe I'll be designing throughout the semester.

I've decided to create a Robust Porter that is partially based on a recipe I found in John Palmer's "How to Brew" but with a few adjustments. I'm calling it Heartbreak Porter.

The malt bill (as of now) consists of 80% Maris Otter, 10% Crystal 60, 5% Chocolate, and 5% Black Patent.

I chose these malts because I think it'll give a nice biscuity and rich sweet quality to the beer. The Black Patent, of course, will provide a lot of the colour that I'm looking for (over 30 SRM when all is said and done). Also, this malt bill will take the ABV% to around 7, which is on the high end of a Robust Porter.


Here is an interpretation of me preparing this recipe! Next up in this series will be the hops additions that will balance out the malty malty goodness. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment